Omifert tablets contains clomiphene citrate. It is SERM i.e selective estrogen receptor modulator which mainly reverse anovulation and causes ovulation induction. It is a non steroidal antiestrogen.
- Ovulary dysfunction in women desiring for pregnancy
- PCOS patients (polycystic ovary syndrome)
- Patient with difficulty in getting pregnant
50mg daily for five days . Increasing in dose can only be for those patients who do not ovulate in response to the drug administered. The dose can be started any time in women without uterine bleeding.
The drug produces its pharmacological action by stimulating the release of gonadotropin, FSH and LH which causes maturation and development of ovulation and ovarian follicle which causes subsequent development of corpus luteum which leads to pregnancy.
After oral administration the drug is directly absorbed by the gastro-intestinal tract.
The drug is well distributed in the body by enterohepatic recirculation and it is stored in body fat. The metabolism of the drug takes place in liver.
The drug follows billiary excretion and also through feces.
- In patients with abnormal genital bleeding
- Pregnant patient
- Ovarian cyst other than caused by PCOS
- Thyroid and adrenal dysfunction
- Use of this drug can reduce lactation
- Not to be used in nursing mothers
- Can cause allergy
- Patients with liver disease
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- During pregnancy