Nigest 200 contains progesterone. It is the naturally occurring hormone in the body. It is mainlty produced in ovaries during ovulation. The levels of progesterone gets lower when the women is in the stage of menopause. It belongs to the group of steroidal hormone.
- Abnormal uterine bleeding due to hormonal imbalance
- It provides support for the embryo implantation
- In early pregnancy, by supplementation of the corpus luteal function in the ovary for ovulation.
The administration of the progesterone injection is through intramuscularly. These injections are irritating at the site of injections. The dose of the injection is depending on the patients health. In case of amenorrhea, 5-10mg injection for 6-8 consecutive days. In case of uterine bleeding 5-10mg are given daily for six days.
Progesterone shows similar action as that of progestin. It binds to the receptor which are present on pituitary, hypothalamus or female reproductive tract. By this progesterone will slow the release of gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH). It will cause the development of decidual tissue which is required to increase endometrial receptivity which is required for implantatin of the embryo. It will relax the uterine muscle and stimulation of growth of alveolar tissues in the mammary glands. Progesterone will maintain the pregnancy after embryo implantation in infertile patients.
After intramuscular injection the maximum concentration of the drug is attained in 8 hrs. The absorption half life of the drug is 25-50 hrs.
The distribution of the drug is by binding to plasma protein. Nearly about 50-54% of the drug is bound to albumin and 43-48% is bound to cortisol binding protein.
The drug is excreted through urine and bile and conjugated form.
- Hypersensitive reaction to any of the ingredient
- In undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding
- Liver dysfunction
- Suspected pregnancy
- Should be used cautiously used when driving because can cause dizziness and drowsiness while driving
- In patients with cardiac and renal dysfunction
- Not be used during pregnancy
- Cautiously used in nursing mothers